I've had several people ask for this recipe, so I'm sharing it here.The Sunday Staple - Kathleen's Roast with Vegetables
Nothing beats walking in the door from church to the delicious aroma of a roast in the oven. This meal beats eating out every time, and it is something worthy of guests, so you can practice the art of hospitality. Serve it with a green salad and rolls. Brownies and ice cream are an excellent complement for dessert.
- 1 4-6 pound roast (chuck, pork loin, etc.)
- Seasoning, such as a rosemary-garlic blend or Canadian steak seasoning
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1# baby carrots or regular carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 large onion, sliced into rings
- 1 can Campbell's golden mushroom soup
- 1/4 cup cooking sherry
- 1 tsp. seasoning salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- In a roasting pan*, place roast, fat side up.
- Use a fork to poke several holes in surface of roast. Generously sprinkle 1-2 tsp. of the seasoning mix on the roast and rub into surface.
- Surround the roast with potatoes.
- Pour in carrots on top of potatoes.
- Spread top of roast and veggies with onion rings.
- In a bowl, mix together soup, sherry, seasoning salt, and pepper. Pour over roast and vegetables.
- Cover tightly and cook at 325 degrees for 3.5-4 hours.**
- Remove from oven and let stand 15 minutes before slicing.
- Use pan drippings for gravy.
Leftovers can be used to make a delicious Italian vegetable beef soup by adding jar of spaghetti sauce, a can of green beans, a can of diced tomatoes, Italian herbs and spices,and water or beef broth, as needed. Serve with garlic bread or breadsticks and salad.
*If you don't have a roasting pan, you can use heavy-duty foil to wrap up everything.
**This can be coked in a large slow cooker for 4-6 hours on high or 7-9 hours on high, depending on your slow cooker.