Thursday, January 9, 2014

And now for those "semi-guidelines" --

Our challenge is to, for one year follow the "Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without principle."

Practically, this means that we will move toward a more minimalistic way of living. Our primary goals are to make use of the things we already own, remove the mountain of stuff which threatens to bury us alive and scale back our possessions, and refrain from purchasing anything but the essentials for the next year.

I plan to be transparent in this effort -- sharing the ups and downs, the victories and the setbacks, and even letting readers know how much we spend each week. I do not feel obligated to scan and post every receipt or justify every grocery purchase. If I cheat, I will tell you. Promise. And I will retain all my receipts, just in case I need to have proof before someone purchases the movie rights to my story -- ha!                                                                                                                                                                                                
While we will put our challenge into effect for the 365 days of 2014, I am NOT going to write a post every day of the year. Anyone who watched the movie Julie and Julia knows how blogging to that extreme can lead to some very real problems. My goal is to have 3 or 4 posts each week in some sort of pattern.

Monday Morning Musings will be devoted to reviewing the past week's spending, the struggles we've faced, and the lessons we're learning.

In Wednesday Eats and Treats, I will address all things food -- sharing unique recipes for using up those freezer foods or for Sunday-after-church meals to ward off the temptation to eat at any of the twenty-odd restaurants we have to pass between church and the house. I might include some great bargain finds too -- when buying in bulk is not over-consuming.

Thursday or Fridays (Let me know what you think would be best) are for clutter-busting. If we are going to climb out of this over-consumptive lifestyle and get things organized around here, I am going to have to address little problems like this laundry room:
 or this closet:

And if there is to be a fourth post, it might be a book review, some inspirational thoughts, words of wisdom, relevant links, or something just for fun.

Please feel free to comment and give me input if there's anything you want me to address. I'm not sure which direction this will go, but I feel certain it will go somewhere!                  

4 comments:

  1. Inspire me! Please! haha I need to take a page from your book. thanks for sharing your journey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, that closet....and I virtually NEVER buy any clothes new. That doesn't stop one from over-buying...at Goodwill, lol! Praying for your journey, great idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I know what you mean. I am blessed with hand-me-downs for our entire family, and many of my clothes have been previously loved. My problem isn't overspending as much as it is "over-saving." I am reluctant to get rid of stuff because I might need it again sometime in the undefined future...

      Delete