Thursday, January 16, 2014

Clutter's Last Stand - Project 1

I've always avoided decluttering. All my projects are too big and involve way too much mess. So, I'm trying the 15 minutes at a time method. I'll set the timer and do what I can in that amount of time. Slow and steady, right?

Here is my first go at it.

I worked in my closet and I was able to go from this:

to this:

 and I got rid of these:


Three shelves -- that's it. It's not too impressive until you look at the pile of stuff that's heading to the women's ministry thrift store. If I can get rid of that much stuff every time I declutter, I can make amazing progress this year.

Now, I realize that if a TRUE minimalist was reading this, there would be rolling eyes and a shaking head right now. But, hey! I'm making progress. And that's what counts. It may take me a couple of passes through every area [ok, maybe 3 or 4] before I achieve minimalist status, but at least I'm heading in the right direction, which is more than I was doing a  month ago.

In reality, I don't think I'll ever get to the "only owning one skirt and two pairs of jeans" kind of minimalism. Where's the fun in that?

1 comment:

  1. Every morning when I get dressed, I've been pulling an item from my closet that I don't wear, doesn't fit, or I plain just don't like and adding it to the local church-run ministry thrift store bag. I really do only have one pair of jeans (that fit). My dilemma is always whether to hang on to things I like, but they don't currently fit. Keep a
    nd store or pass it on?

    ReplyDelete