Tuesday, January 14, 2014

The Broken Pitcher or Old Habits Die Hard

We have used the same pitcher for water for every meal for at least 6 years. Understandably, it wasn't going to last forever. The other morning, as Esther was filling it for breakfast, the lid fell off the counter and plunged to the floor. When it hit the concrete, the lid broke in two, which I must say is better than shattering into a million pieces like our Corelle plates do. No drama, no problem. The pitcher already had tons of hairline cracks along its sides, so I just picked it up and tossed it in the trash. Then I replaced it with a Rubbermaid pitcher I already had in the cabinet.

Imagine my surprise when I saw this at lunchtime:
 One of my children dug the pitcher out of the trash, washed it, refilled it, and returned it to its place of honor.

When I took the pitcher and headed back to the trash with it, they protested, "But, Mom, we can't get rid of it. It has too many memories. Besides, Dad can fix it."

Never mind that I have 3 other pitchers in the cabinet (OK, I actually have 5 more.) or that this one has served way past its life expectancy -- 3 meals a day for at least 325 days of each of the past 6 years -- it has too many memories.

And who says our children don't learn from our example? While I appreciate their thriftiness, I am saddened that they, like their mama, have trouble knowing when it's time to let go.

Whether its a broken pitcher, a habit, or a relationship that drags us down, we all need to learn how to evaluate the true cost of hanging on or letting go. It's a matter of gaining the right perspective and making wise choices.




No comments:

Post a Comment