Monday, August 11, 2014

Monday Musings: Week 32


Here are my stats for week 32.                  

Week 28 Spending
Groceries  
$190
Entertainment
$20
Clothing
$41
Toiletries
$4
School           
$88
Total  
$343

I expected my school spending to be higher this month. I must admit that I have a serious addiction to affection for school supplies. When they sell Sharpies or a box of 12 pencils for $0.29, I just can’t resist!

This reminds me of a favorite quote from one of the world’s BEST movies – You’ve Got Mail:
“Don't you love New York in the fall? It makes me want to buy school supplies. I would send you a bouquet of newly sharpened pencils if I knew your name and address.”
(Hmmm – I think I need to make time to watch that movie again – very soon.  J)

Random thoughts – I know. These days, I have lots and lots of thoughts racing about in my head, and none of them are really ready to be nailed down.

Little thoughts like:
·       When am I going to be able to watch “You’ve Got Mail?”
·       Will I ever get Nathan and Amanda’s afghan finished?
·       What are we going to eat for dinners this week?
·       Do we really need another daily routine chart?

And big thoughts like:
·       How do I reach that child of mine who seems to be constantly pushing me away?
·       As Christians, what should be our response to the unaccompanied minors crossing our borders?
·       Am I a failure as a home school mom since I just enrolled one of my children in public school?
·       How can I be a living example of the gospel of Christ?

And then I read over my “big” thoughts and realize there are mothers all over this world who are holding their children for their last breathes as they succumb to AIDS or starvation. There are parents in ICUs across this country, sitting at their children’s bedsides, pleading for God to spare their lives. And suddenly all of my thoughts seem very, very small. My prayer is that I’ll see life from a larger perspective rather than looking at my own life through a microscope.

I’ll close with the lyrics to one of the songs that God used to form my faith when I was a new Christian. It’s still my prayer for my life – I just forget sometimes...

If you’re not familiar with it, you can watch it here on YouTube. 

My Father’s Eyes
I may not be every mother's dream for her little girl,
And my face may not grace the mind of everyone in the world.
But that's all right, as long as I can have one wish I pray:
When people look inside my life, I want to hear them say,

She's got her father's eyes,
Her father's eyes;
Eyes that find the good in things,
When good is not around;
Eyes that find the source of help,
When help just can't be found;
Eyes full of compassion,
Seeing every pain;
Knowing what you're going through
And feeling it the same.
Just like my father's eyes,
My father's eyes,
My father's eyes,
Just like my father's eyes.

And on that day when we will pay for all the deeds we have done,
Good and bad they'll all be had to see by everyone.
And when you're called to stand and tell just what you saw in me,
More than anything I know, I want your words to be,

She had her father's eyes,
Her father's eyes;
Eyes that found the good in things,
When good was not around;
Eyes that found the source of help,
When help would not be found;
Eyes full of compassion,
Seeing every pain;
Knowing what you're going through,
And feeling it the same.
Just like my father's eyes,
My father's eyes,
My father's eyes,
Just like my father's eyes.
My father's eyes,
My father's eyes,
Just like my father's eyes.
Songwriter: GARY WINTHUR CHAPMAN, Father's Eyes lyrics © Universal Music Publishing Group

No comments:

Post a Comment