Monday, April 14, 2014

Monday Musings: Week 15

I usually write my Monday Musings post on Sunday evening. That was my plan for this week, but Miriam needed help with her computer science projects -- three Excel worksheets. Let’s just say that Excel is not my favorite Office program, so the coefficient of irritability has been pretty high -- almost as high as the summer of '96, when we tried to save some money and not turn on the air conditioning until July 1st. (I can't be held responsible for anything that happened that summer. We had 5 children at the time, 3 of whom were under age 2.) 

Add that to the fact that Miriam has that confounded Windows 8 operating system in which windows open and close without the slightest provocation, plus I can’t stand the way she has her touch pad configured. I try to move to a new cell, and before I know it, I’ve zoomed the thing to 7000%! AAAAACK! So, on a night where I had previously promised myself to be in bed by midnight, I am up at 2:29 2:43 3:42 a.m., plinking away at this post, and poor Miriam, who usually is passed out asleep by 10 p.m., is beside me working on her last project – an Excel Assessment which is due by midnight on Monday. 

So, please be understanding if I ramble or don't make perfect sense today. I might have been sleeping at my keyboard!

Here is this week's spending report.

Week 15 Spending
Groceries /Food   
$42
Piano Lessons  
$10
Total  
$52

This represents the lowest capital outlay of the year. There’s not much to brag about -- the car is still up on ramps, and I'm home-bound. If this is all there is to it, being a one-car family might be the solution to my overspending ways. Syd thinks he may have the car repaired. There is no duct tape involved, but I think I heard him talking about JB Weld. (Should I worry?) The moment of truth is Tuesday morning. At 5:30 a.m., he has to leave for Bonham to catch a ride to a meeting in Austin. If the weld holds, I’ll still be in my warm bed. If not, I’ll be in my jammies, driving him there in our road-worthy vehicle. You can imagine what I’m praying for.

In the meantime, we’ll have a busy week. In addition to all the regular stuff we have going on, Syd will be in Austin, I'm going with our church youth to see God Is Not Dead, Josiah hopes to get his driving learner’s permit, Esther and Miriam have orthodontist initial evaluation appointments, and we'll be getting ready for Resurrection Sunday, which, of course, will include a Saturday night announcement of someone not having some essential article of clothing.

My friend Polly and I, and about 700 other ladies, attended the East Paris Baptist Church Women’s Conference this weekend. The speaker was Jen Hatmaker, and she was amazing! She gave me so much to think about. I’m still processing, so I’m not quite ready to put my thoughts on paper. I hope to write about it soon – maybe next week.

Have a special Easter week,

Kathleen

For those who might be wondering, my decluttering efforts seem to have stalled out. While my laundry room, bathroom, and bedroom are still neat and clutter-free, my closet remains a very scary place, and I won't even step foot in the attic! 



No comments:

Post a Comment