Monday, April 7, 2014

Monday Musings: Week 14



The levels of the freezers are dropping and the cupboards are looking a little bare. We are slowly, but surely chipping away at our food supply. 

Here is this week's spending report.
Week 14 Spending
Groceries /Food   
$117
Haircut
$17
Piano Lessons                  
$10
Total  
$144

Here are some thoughts.
Originally, haircuts were going to be a taboo expenditure. Fast forward 3 months. We’ve done home haircuts for everyone. I haven’t been in a salon for at least four months, and I’m desperately in need of a trim. While Syd is great with clippers, I just keep getting a sinking feeling at the thought of him cutting my hair. Leah has almost completed her cosmetology training, and she is more than capable. One problem – anyone who has teen daughters knows there can be periods of tense relationships. Sadly, last week was one of those times. I feared that asking Leah to cut my hair might lead her into temptation, and might result in my having a shaved head! Thus, I made the decision to pay a professional to cut my hair and spare myself months of potential embarrassment.

Josiah, child #6, turns 16 in 2 weeks. He just started his first official job working at the Tigertown Convenience Store. He’s worked 4 days, and I’ve already seen a change in his level of maturity and responsibility. Working is so good for our kids. They’ve always had chores and responsibilities around the house, but there is something special about getting a paycheck and answering to an employer. When I get a chance, I hope to elaborate on this in another post.

Since I no longer can function in a continual state of sleep deprivation, I’m turning over a new leaf and trying to get more shut-eye. Changing sleep patterns is tough. It will involve eliminating some demands on my time, as well as adjusting how I spend my waking hours. Changing how I spend my time will be every bit as challenging as changing the way in which I spend my money. My plan is to go about it in the same manner – creating a time budget and spending time building relationships and in pursuits that enrich my life. This definitely has the potential to be painful to my selfish nature. 

No comments:

Post a Comment