Southwestern Beef and Rice
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
2 pounds extra-lean ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
1 10 ounce can Rotel diced tomatoes and green chiles
2 cups frozen or canned corn
2 cups frozen or canned green beans (or rinsed black beans)
6 cups of cooked white rice (Begin with 2 cups uncooked rice.)
Toppings, as desired
Shredded cheddar cheese
Pico de gallo
- Cook rice in saucepan.
- While rice is cooking, in a large skillet, brown ground beef and onion with chili powder and cumin.
- Add tomatoes, corn and beans. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- If you want an all-in-one skillet meal, you can stir in the rice, top with 2 cups of cheddar cheese, and cover the skillet. Let stand for 5 minutes until cheese is melted.
- I prefer to dish up the rice on plates, ladle the meat mixture over the rice, and let everyone use the toppings of his or her choice.
- Serve with chips or flour tortillas.
- Leftovers make great lunches or can be frozen.