I tossed this together Sunday morning before church, let it cook on High for 4 hours, and we came home to a delicious, savory meal that was fit for serving company. I used sirloin steak, but round steak would work just as well. I served this with slices of whole wheat bread, a salad, and a fruit salad for dessert.
Slow Cooker Swiss Steak
Serves 6-8 people
- 1/2 cup flour
- Salt and pepper to taste (about 1 tsp. of each)
- 2-3 pounds round steak or sirloin, cut into pieces (about 2" long and 1" wide)
- 1 onion, cut into rings or chopped
- 3 stalks of celery, in 1/2" chunks
- 3-6 carrots, in 1" chunks
- 2 14.5 ounce cans of diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 can mushrooms, drained
- 1-2 tsp. fresh minced garlic
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- Mix flour, salt and pepper together in crock pot. Toss in meat pieces. Stir to coat the meet with the flour mixture.
- Lay onion rings on top of meat. Layer in celery and carrot pieces. Pour tomatoes over carrots and celery. Place mushrooms on top of veggies. Sprinkle minced garlic over mushrooms.
- Pour or dollop mushroom soup over vegetables and steak.
- Cover and cook 8-10 hours on low or 4 hours on high, until the meat is very tender.
- Serve over egg noodles, mashed potatoes, or brown rice. You can also pour it over a slice of bread, if you run out of noodles.